Pages

Saturday, April 17, 2010

Paintings, Color, and Spring

"Color has taken possession of me; no longer do I have to chase after it. I know that it has hold of me forever... Color and I are one. I am a painter." Paul Klee
Acrylic painting - tulips, skagit valleyDelorse Lovelady 2010 "Oh, Give Me Color Today!" 4x6 acrylic
Paintings and Spring
I have managed to do some small paintings to enter into a local juried miniatures show, the Edmonds Art Fair that is held every year in June. I won't know til May if any of the four I am submitting will be accepted.

The top one is inspired by our yearly trek to the Skagit Valley tulip fields where we usually enjoy viewing the farmlands, beautiful vista's and sometimes, snow geese. I used my imagination this time, didn't feel like pulling out reference photos. We won't be able to go this year as April is slipping away and other plans are brewing, so here is my tribute to the colorful tulips and springtime in the Valley. However, I am enjoying the many tulips and other flowers blooming in our yard... so lovely...
The second painting is another imagination painting.... I was thinking about the distance, viewing something in the far distance, a panorama. Though not quite a desert scene (or maybe it could be?), I thought of Georgia O'Keeffe and her fascination and love of the desert, what she called the "faraway"... "a beautiful, untouched lonely feeling place", of infinite beauty and space... a place I enter in my mind sometimes in a painting like this one.
Delorse Lovelady 2010 "Somewhere in the Far Away" 4x6 Acrylic

I was disappointed that we didn't make it to the Death Valley desert as intended in March, however, instead we went on a wonderful road trip in Oregon I will soon post about...

"Clouds come floating into my life, no longer to carry rain or usher storm, but to add color to my sunset sky.
" Rabindranath Tagore

4 comments:

mermaid gallery said...

lovely...minatures are such fun to paint. Yes, it is nice to be back in a green world!

HeartFire said...

Thanks Susan!
I do love painting small sometimes... It is a gorgeous day here in north Seattle, sunny and all abloom as I look out the window. I'm sure it's wonderful up in your area of Nelson, I hope we get back up there sometime, a great little Canadian city.
Delorse

Dreamcicle Journeys said...

Dolorse, your miniature paintings really capture the landscape, love the colors and the Klee quote. Missed you at ArtFest and hope to see you sometime this year

HeartFire said...

Hi Paula,
I've realized I'm really into color and seem to get bolder with it as I go. When I first started many years ago, some of my paintings looked so weak! Yes, I missed AF, but really needed a break... hope I get to see you too.
Delorse