Pages

Tuesday, February 10, 2009

Patterns and Digital Photography Art

"We sleep, but the loom of life never stops, and the pattern which was weaving when the sun went down is weaving when it comes up in the morning." Henry Ward Beecher

Patterns was the subject for a recent challenge swap in an online photoartjournals group I belong to. I have enjoyed the various themes we've had, about one every six weeks. But the most fun part of that venture is receiving the wonderful books created by the organizer, Catherine, and the collection of inspiring and eclectic images from the people who took part in interpreting a particular theme. The books are made more special as each photo must be accompanied by your own writing or a quotation to go with it. It's always amazing to see the uniqueness of each photo and writing just like the artists that created them. Check out this group if you have a passion for photography and prose.

Picture taking with my digital camera and playing with images in photoshop have become very favorite activities for me. I never go anywhere without my camera as opportunities for something interesting seem endless. But then I started very young, as I remember taking pictures (old black and whites that I still have) with my small tan Brownie camera which was earned by selling Girl Scout cookies.

Now I find myself experimenting more with the digital camera than I did with film cameras, knowing I don't have to buy expensive film or bother with developing... It's so easy to see results on the computer and delete what I don't like, or better yet, enhance or change it with photoshop. What to try with the camera? There are so many choices, here are some shots I've tried: unusual angles, odd close-ups, focusing on a theme or a color, shooting directly into the sun (surprising results), night photos, skyscapes... I'm still learning, and I have yet to figure out how to get really really sharp closeups

No comments: