Pages

Saturday, February 28, 2009

Sunday Meditations, Abstract Landscape, Trip to the South Pole

Sometimes it seems like nothing is happening or changing, but, every moment in the canvas of our lives is painting us towards our unknowable unique future...

The top abstract landscape painting from my imagination is one of my earlier works in watercolor, I still like it because of it's simplicity and the feeling of quiet and serenity even though it appears to be a stormy day. The second painting has the same feeling for me, however it is a real place I painted in British Columbia on a brighter day, and my style had evolved into using more color. Both will be available as prints in the near future in my Etsy shop.

The stunning photography in the video "Surface of Eceon - The Open Sea" below is perfect for several minutes of relaxation, esp., with the hypnotic music. I like the sense of deep calm that seems to emanate out of the frozen world of the South Pole. It deceptively conveys a sense that nothing is happening, but in reality, the wonderful timed photography captures the effects of traveling sun, moon, stars, and northern lights. The video was photographed by scientists from the University of San Diego & the US Government. It was edited By Nick Liveris.
Watch this with your full screen if you can as it better conveys the sense of open space. Or perhaps watch it 2-3 times and let it wash out and replace any negative thoughts you might have lingering in your mind. I have to catch myself up and notice how much of what I am letting in... last week I listened to NPR explain the banking crisis in layman's terms (I actually understood some), read and heard about Mexico (a place I want to revisit) being taken over by violent drug cartels and results could affect the US as it approaches being a failed state, and watched a "nature" show about bear attacks... enough to scare me silly...
....the point is I marvel at the paradox we live in, and remind myself that in my lifetime, the sun will keep shining and the moon and stars will dance in the night sky for me. So I traveled to the South Pole today to remind myself, sometimes I have to listen and look a little harder to hear and see through the dark to the deeper peace and beauty. And that change is happening every second, and every instant that I am being still, I am actually spinning with the earth and moving around the sun...

No comments: