Pages

Wednesday, March 4, 2009

Crow Message and Graffiti Art

"In the dime stores and bus stations, people talk of situations, read books, read quotations, draw conclusions on the wall...." Bob Dylan
This is my latest experiment in the digital and graphics software world. I love playing with Photoshop and discovering the amazing things that can be done with ordinary or even not so good photos. I have combined several techniques after stripping the color out of the original. The upper right corner is a piece of another photo from a terrific tunnel wall of graffiti. I call it "Crow Message: Love Never Fails." Available in my Etsy shop as a print. Crows are such interesting birds. Every evening at dusk, hundreds of them fly together noisily towards their evening rookery nearby and I enjoy watching and trying to photograph them.

And here is the original photo I started this project with.....taken at Ft Worden State Park in Pt Townsend, WA. OK, but rather ordinary and not so good color. I have recycled it into something I like much better. And I will probably do more experimenting with this same photo.
Graffiti provides another fascinating opportunity for my camera. It was the subject of the latest photo art journal swap. This photo was taken last fall on a road trip we did through parts of British Columbia. On a stretch of remote highway on a former roadway was an abandoned concrete and rock tunnel gloriously filled with colorful graffiti. The picture below is the portion I submitted for our photoartjournal a couple of days ago. Part of the fun of participating in that group is receiving a bound book with a photo on the same theme from everyone else. The variety of art and writing or quotes to go with them are inspiring.

4 comments:

JonesMoore Studio Art, Lisa JonesMoore said...

These are really fun pieces!

HeartFire said...

Totally fun, the tunnel was awesome, I took lots of photos, am thinking of doing a graffiti series - I love the spontaneity, humor and freewheeling mix of layers!

Anonymous said...

Just scanned through your blog. Very interesting. You are very talented and inspiring!

HeartFire said...

Thanks for looking and your comments, keeps me going, and it's fun for me.